This section describes how to replace a retractor.
NOTE: Do not discard any parts or fasteners unless explicitly instructed to do so.
- Release the 10 fasteners that secure the back plate to the pedestal. Remove the back plate.
- Release the 8 fasteners that secure the frontplate to the pedestal. Remove the frontplate.
- Use a T9 Torx Security bit to release the fasteners that secure the top plate.
- Release the screw that secures the cable holder ring, then release the cable holder ring from the retractor.
- Use a pry tool to remove the locking rings from the cable holder ring. Remove the cable holder ring from the cable.
- While restraining the nut on the opposite side, use a 5/64 in hex key to release the fastener that secures the upper pole bracket to the pedestal. Remove the upper pole bracket from the pedestal.
- Release the fasteners (x4) that secure the lower pole bracket from the pedestal.
NOTE: Do not remove the lower pole bracket at this time.NOTE: 2 of the fasteners are not easily visible.
- Remove the retractor assembly by lifting it upwards, then out of the pedestal.
NOTE: The bracket from step 7 is removed as part of the retractor assembly.
- While restraining the nut on the opposite side, use a 3/16 in hey key to release the fastener that secures the lower pole bracket to the retractor assembly.
- Transfer the lower pole bracket to the new retractor assembly.
- Position the retractor assembly within the pedestal (refer to step 8).
- Reinstall the fasteners that secure the lower pole bracket to the pedestal (refer to step 7).
Tip: Hand tighten the front (visible) fasteners before installing the rear (hidden) fasteners. When all fasteners are hand-tight, fully tighten the hidden fasteners first, then fully tighten the visible fasteners.
- Reinstall the fastener that secures the upper pole bracket to the pedestal (refer to step 6).
Tip: Push the retractor pole towards the outside of the pedestal to properly install the fastener.
- Untie the knot and remove the washer from the retractor cord.
- Install the stopper:
NOTE: Read this entire step before continuing.
- Pull down on the retractor cord until you feel the tension from the counterweight, then pull the retractor cord out 1 additional inch. Hold the cord in this position.
- While continuing to hold the cord in place from the previous step, install the stopper onto the retractor cord. Slide the stopper all the way to the top of the cord.
- Use a marker to mark the position of the bottom of the stopper on the cord. Ensure that the stopper remains above this mark during the next steps.
- Pull out the cord and tie a knot at the position that was marked previously.
- Install the clamshell over the knot.
- Slide the stopper over the clamshell.
- Cut any excess cord away from the base of the stopper. Use a lighter to melt the end of the cord to prevent fraying.
- Let go of the cord so that the stopper rests inside its housing on the pedestal.
- Pick up the charging cable from the charging cable holder. Fully lay out the charging cable onto the ground.
- Create one loop in the charging cable, so that the base of the loop hangs one inch off the ground and the top of the loop is at the same height as the stopper. Mark the position on the cable that is at the same height as the stopper.
- Install the cable holder ring onto the cable at the position that was marked in the previous step (refer to step 5).
- Install the cable holder ring onto the stopper (refer to step 4).
- Reinstall the top plate (refer to step 3).
- Reinstall the front plate (refer to step 2).
- Reinstall the back plate (refer to step 1).